Whether you're looking for affordable home builders, modular home builders, or luxury home builders, whether you want a new home or just want to put up an addition, the Home Improvement and Design Expo is your resource for home builders and general realestate builders in Minnesota.
Each year we have several expos in the Twin Cities metro area. Typically these are held in the spring and the fall, with shows in the north and the south. Each of these shows is a fantastic opportunity to meet home builders face-to-face and ask the questions you need to have answered before you buy.
Before you go to the show you may wish to have a description of the project(s) you have in mind as well as a list of questions ready to ask. If you have sketches, these would also be helpful for letting the builder visualize the scope of your project.
Here are a few things you can do before you make your home builder checklist:
Here are a few topics to consider when making your list:
- Collect design ideas that show features, general look, and colors that you like for the exterior and interior of the house that you want.
- Collect design ideas that show how the furniture could coordinate with the design of the house.
- Take photos of homes that you like.
- Find out town zoning and planning restrictions and considerations.
- Determine your budget.
Here are a few questions to ask the homebuilder:
- Is it more important to have an affordable home builder or a custom home builder, perhaps even a luxury home builder?
- Have you considered modular homes builders as an option?
- Is your desired home fixed in your mind, or are you flexible? In other words, if a design was close to what you want would you consider that over a total custom design?
- Do you have examples of specific features that you'd like?
- What is the timeframe for when you want to start and/or finish/move in?
- If this is an expansion, how long can you work around the construction and what impact might your desired change have on your house?
Remember, the more information that you have before you attend the Home Improvement and Design Expo, the more rewarding your experience will be at the show!
- Do they have a permanent location?
- How long have they been around?
- What is the builder's reputation with local suppliers and banks?
- Can they provide you with a list of references?
- Do they have a clear written contract?
- Will they provide you with a list of subcontractors?
- Are they members of trade associations?
- Who handles the permits and inspections?
In addition to home builders, you can also find an array of other providers at the show, including remodelers, pool companies, landscapers, lighting contractors, sauna and spa providers, and much more!
Stop in and discover how the Home Improvement and Design Expo can make your entire home project simple and easy!
If you'd like to stay on top of what's happening with the Home Improvement and Design Expo you can sign up here for our great mailing list!
Click here for landscaping ideas, landscaping blocks, how to landscape with natural stone, or backyard landscaping ideas.